CSS Cascade Menu Css3Menu.com

What's New?

Recent Posts Widget | Webaholic

The Gaps




One morning, I read the story of Paul's encounter with Jesus on the road to Damascus with my children (from the Jesus Storybook Bible pictured here, which I will review at a later time).  As I read the story, Nora's eyes started to light up. I could tell something was clicking in her mind. "Mommy! The Saul in the Old Testament and the Saul in the New Testament are not the same person!" All those times we played "Saul chasing David" she thought were somehow connected to Paul. The king that turned away from God was also the Paul who gave his whole life to preaching the gospel. How confusing! Of course, my four-year-old didn't lose sleep over it. When she said that, it started a trail of thoughts about "the gaps". I think it crosses almost every parent or homeschooler's mind. What about the gaps?


"What if I don't cover this or forget to emphasize that? Someone has a whole blog devoted to something I haven't even touched on with my children! I do Rod & Staff, but they say it would be much better to do Shurley English." 

We live in a Pinterest world filled with so many ideas, must dos, and great resources that we could drown in the sea of opportunities! I am guilty. It's great to learn from other Moms and from other Homeschoolers, but I could easily get stuck in the regrets of all the things I should have done or wanted to do, that I forget the point.

We must have a vision

Without a vision, we can easily lose sight of the end. "Begin with the end in mind" is such wisdom! As a former school teacher, I love all things school. I have been "FRIed" and "reFRIed" (for all you teachers out there). I went to a great college and value education as well as staying current on theory and best practice.  I also love things that are cute and crafty. I know I'm not alone there! However, there are only 24 hours in a day. And there are only +- 18 years with our children. They go by fast, I'm told. I want to do more than spend my days gathering 20 ideas about something only to implement 2 and feel like I failed as I survey the expanse of all the things my friend's are doing with their kids. Let me connect this to the gaps. We must put our children back into God's hands. We must put our mothering and homeschooling back in His hands as well. We can't do it all...well. We can't do it all well. "It is better to be effective rather than efficient". Those are words from the Lord to me that changed my life. I want to teach my children all they need to know. I will. I can relax. I will make decisions about their education. Then I will chose to have peace about them. This goes without saying for discipleship as well. There are so many wonderful ways to teach our children about the Lord and experience Him as a family!  I can get lost in that sea too.  What is the very best math program out there? What will be the best way to teach them history with a biblical world view? These questions go on endlessly. But at the end of the day, I pray, I research, I decide, and I chose to have peace. A million other ideas and options will surface. Some will be good. Don't get me wrong, it's good to latch on to ideas that work for your family. But some will be superfluous. I must have wisdom to know the difference. Will my children know everything about everything? No. Will they know what they need to know to walk out the calling of God on their lives? Will they be educationally sound? Yes! 

What is my hope for their lives? Educationally, I want them to be lifelong learners. People who love learning and never stop. But most importantly, I want them to know God. I want them to know about God for sure, but what I really want is for them to KNOW Him. To walk with Him. To listen to Him. To talk with Him. To be passionate about Him. To be transformed by Him. Some of that is taught. And some of that, all of that, is by the power of the Holy Spirit.  A huge part of my life as a Mom who is discipling her children and teaching them educationally, is found in the secret place with God. It's amazing what He teaches my children apart from the words that I speak. I want God to be active in our home, in our school. I want to create opportunities for them to open their minds and hearts to Him. I want to have peace about the decisions He has led our family to make. The things that work best for us. They ways that are most important. So at the end of the day, there will be gaps. Which event lead to which war, Mommy? Which prophet said what to who, Mommy?

But all through this life and at the end of this life there will be Jesus.

I hope this can encourage some of you that struggle with perfectionism as I do at times. Love God. Love your children. And do the best you can. Then...chose peace. The Prince of Peace is giving it away everyday.

Blessings,
Liza

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Ah, my heart! Thank you, Liza - so encouraging!

Liza Sorensen said...

So glad, Rachel! : )

Lisa said...

Encouraged :) I'm so glad to have you "in my life" at this stage - before I'm full swing with kids and (possibly) homeschooling and disciplining. Thank you for sharing your journey Liza, and what the Lord is teaching you. He is using you to teach many of us :) I am reminded of the word you spoke to me a few months ago about perfectionism....

Liza Sorensen said...

It means a lot that you are encouraged! You are such a good Mommy and your heart is so soft and ready for the Lord to shape as you go. I love how proactive you are about learning. I hope to use this blog more now, but we'll see how it goes. It was the right time to set it up and now hopefully I'll get into it. It's good to get a comment every once in a while to see that it is helpful. Thank you!

Post a Comment

You make like:


up